Most tree care services have a certified arborist as part of their team. A certified arborist is a professional who has full knowledge of proper tree care. He has been extensively trained to provide services on all aspects of tree care.
An arborist is known as being certified if he is schooled in the science and art of planting, caring and maintaining trees. He should at least have three years of tree care experience. He should also have passed the comprehensive examination administered by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
The ISA examination evaluates the knowledge and skills of an arborist in these areas of concern:
- Management of Soil, Water and Nutrients
- Tree Selection / Identification
- Tree Diagnosis and Treatment
- Tree Biology
- Urban Forestry
- Tree Risk Management
- Safe Work Practices
An arborist maintains his certification through continuous education. He is required to have 30 education credits for each 3 year cycle of his certification. Education credits can be completed through:
- Tree Management courses offered by universities
- Professional in-service conferences
- Leadership seminars or article writing
This is to ensure that he keeps himself updated on the latest trends and techniques in arboriculture.
The ISA is an international organization composed of tree care professionals committed to continuously do research on proper tree care. They are also dedicated to provide arborists and consumers alike with continuous education on tree care.
Why Hire a Certified Arborist
Trees can very well take care of themselves. A certified arborist is responsible for the monitoring and promotion of the health of the tree. A certified arborist may also do the job of cutting down a tree when it is old and when he deems it unhealthy and can no longer be saved. He will also recommend that a tree be cut off if it poses a danger to life and property.
Choosing the Right Arborist
Although an arborist is certified, it does not necessarily follow that he is the right person for the job. There are certain things you need to make sure of:
- He should be a member of professional tree care organizations such as the International Society of ??Arboriculture (ISA) or the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA). Membership in any off these organizations will show that he wants to keep updated on the latest information and techniques on tree care.
- He needs to have personal and property damage insurance and also workers? compensation insurance.
- He needs to have the necessary licenses and permits from government agencies.
- He should be able to provide references of past works similar to what he will be doing for you.
- Get more than one estimate for the job. Never immediately accept a low bid. Determine the best combination of work to be done, price, skill and reputation of the arborist and his company.
It is important to bear in mind that a good certified arborists will only perform work that is within the code of ethics of the industry.
It also pays to be an informed customer. One of the best ways to check the website to choose an arborist is to learn about the basics of tree care.